Activity picks up today as more Sea Grant Week participants arrive to take part in network group meetings and topical workshops focussing on the nitty-gritty of Sea Grant’s mission and how we accomplish it.
Today’s agenda includes an all-day meeting of the National Sea Grant Advisory Board and morning meetings of the network’s fiscal officers, educators, communicators and legal program. After a lunch break, participants can choose from National Sea Grant office workshops on “Seagrant 101” (for newcomers) and annual reporting or topical workshops on:
- Management Systems for Reporting Sea Grant Research and Extension Activities and Accomplishments
- Sustainable Coastal Tourism – Developing a Sea Grant Network (presented by Hawaii Sea Grant and Delaware Sea Grant)
- Coastal Renewable Energy (presented by Oregon Sea Grant)
- Marine Spatial Planning: Sea Grant’s Role in this Train Charging Down the Track (presented by Oregon Sea Grant and Rhode Island Sea Grant)
and discussions of
- the Aquaculture Research and Extension National Strategic Initiative
- The Deepwater Horizon oil spill and its aftermath (conducted by Gulf States Sea Grant directors and NOAA).
Concurrently, the Program Mission Committee, External Relations Committee and Network Advisory Committee are meeting during the afternoon.
This full day of program work will be followed by a welcome reception at the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, on the riverfront at the foot of Canal Street, a short walk from the conference hotel.